Interpol refused to put Georgia’s ex-President Mikheil Saakashvli on the internationally wanted list, and the organization also removed Georgia’s former Defence Minister Davit Kezerashvili from its list, Georgia’s Chief Prosecutor’s Office reads.
Interpol refuses to put some former Georgian officials in its list
By Gvantsa Gabekhadze
Monday, August 3
Now the office intends to address to the organization with the request to put both individuals, who are wanted by the Georgian law-enforcement bodies for several allegations, in the list.
The Prosecutor’s Office’s statement was preceded by a statement of Saakashvili’s lawyer Orar Kakhidze.
The statement reads that the Georgian government was trying to persuade the Interpol to put Saakashvili on the wanted list. However, through the relevant correspondence, the lawyers managed to change the situation.
“The Prosecutor’s Office’s appeal was contrary to the Interior’s Constitution, article 3 of which says that political persecution is inadmissible. We have recently been notified that Interpol made an appropriate decision and we will soon publish an official letter about it,” Kakhidze said.
Prime Minister Irakli Gharibashvili said that Interpol “changed its methodology” which had been the reason of the recent solution of the Interpol.
In response, member of the opposition United National Movement Nugzar Tsiklauri said that the Interpol doctrine remains the same.
“The fact is that the whole international community recognizes that the current Georgian government persecutes its political opponents,” Tsiklauri said.
Leader of the Non-Parliamentary opposition Georgian Troupe Jondi Baghaturia says that a certain agreement took place among the former and current officials.
“By the way, Kezerashvili has refused his shares in Poti Port, Gulf and the oil terminal,” Baghaturia wrote on his Facebook page.
Mikheil Saakashvili and Kezerashvili are wanted for exceeding official power, expropriation of properties, appropriation of state money and for related offenses.