The messenger logo

Yesterday, two students were found dead in a Gldani apartment. Police suspect carbon monoxide poisoning from a leaky gas heater. Are you worried about the gas heater in your home?

Thursday, January 17
“Honestly, I never used to worry about gas heaters—but now I’m very scared. After I heard about these two students, I called my grandmother, who’s alone in her village, and told her to be careful about the gas.”
Irakli, banker, 24

“No, I’m sure my heater is safe.”
Keti, student, 19

“Of course I worry, it’s much better to use an electric heater. It’s not the first time this has happened in Tbilisi. People should be very careful.”
Marina, housewife, 46

“My gas heater is safe, but I can see that a lot of my neighbors and relatives are using old, unsafe heaters, and it worries me. This could happen to anyone.”
Elene, dentist, 43

“Too many have died from faulty gas heaters, but a lot of people can’t afford to buy safer ones.”
Viola, housewife, 32

“I have a Georgian heater which is pretty safe. It cost me a lot of money, but life is precious.”
Demna, driver, 54

“I can’t understand why people use Nikala heaters [the make the two dead students used], as all these accidents are from those heaters. Personally, I’m not worried about my heater.”
Nana, teacher, 39

“I’m scared stiff by those heaters, I don’t know what’s safe and what’s not. The best option is to use wood heaters, but you can’t do that in Tbilisi.”
Shota, taxi driver, 61

“I feel terrible for those boys, it’s a real tragedy. Be careful, people!”
Dato, athlete, 26