The messenger logo

Press Scanner

Compiled by Eter Tsotniashvili
Wednesday, July 30
“Three people died from vodka poisoning in Zugdidi”

Sakartvelos Respublika reports that three people, including two from Abkhazia’s Gali district, have died from excessive vodka consumption:

“Two residents of the village Otobaia in Gali district—Zaza Akhalaia and Gia Zantaria—died as a result of vodka intoxication.

Zantaria and Akhalaia have already been taken to their homes without encountering any problems on the so-called border.

Zaza Akhalaia and Gia Zantaria were poisoned four days ago in Zugdidi where they were with their friend. They were taken to Zugdidi hospital immediately. The host of the family whom they were visiting also died.”

“Galelebi should pay GEL 50 to enter in Gali”

Sakartvelos Respublika reports that Gali residents are paying money to cross the administrative border with breakaway Abkhazia, in spite of it being officially closed:

“The price of crossing the border between Gali and Zugdidi regions has reached GEL 50.

According to our source from Gali despite the closure of the so-called border people still manage to cross the Abkhaz-controlled border.

In the conditions when Gali region residents do not have enough money to buy products and food Abkhazians demand GEL 50 to cross the border. ‘The region is in blockade in fact,’ said the source.

The source also said that gamgebeli [district head] of Gali Beslan Arshba himself controls the products crossing the border and then he sells them at increased prices.”

“Giorgi Kenchadze died in car accident”

Kviris Palitra reports that a former ruling party MP has been killed in a car accident:

“Former activist of the National Movement and MP of the Georgian parliament Giorgi Kenchadze has died in a car accident. The accident happened on the Tbilisi–Batumi road.

Giorgi Kenchadze was the head of the National Movement’s election campaign office in Krtsanisi district [in 2004]. He played an important role in the Adjaran revolution. At that time Kenchadze held negotiations between General [Roman] Dumbadze and the authorities in Tbilisi.

Later Kenchadze was arrested at the State Chancellery for extorting money. He spent two years in prison and was released last year.”