The messenger logo

Press Scanner

Compiled by Etuna Tsotniashvili
Wednesday, July 15
Temur Iakobashvili: “there will be provocations but not war”

State Minister of Reintegration Temur Iakobashvili states that provocations are expected from the Russian side but not more war, Rezonansi writes.

“It is clear that Russia is preparing for war, but from the political point of view this is less probable currently. It is very important that this war is discussed not only in Georgia but in the world, and moreover if such kind of discussions has been held last year at the same period the August war would not have happened,” Iakobashvili said.

The State Minister expects that there will nevertheless be “many provocations” from the Russian side but he highlights that Georgia will not be trapped by them.

Giorgi Arveladze appointed Imedi Director

Rezonansi reports that Rakeen Georgia has carried out a staff change at Imedi TV. Giorgi Isakadze has been replaced as director by former Economy Minister Giorgi Arveladze. Arveladze says this decision is not a political one and he will only head the company’s management board.

Company Rakeen Georgia from the United Arab Emirates is the owner of 90% shares of the Imedi Georgian media holding, the other 10% being owned by Joseph Kay.

“I will not interfere in editorial politics. A lot of professionals are working in Imedi and I will do my best to help them continue to do their jobs well. It has already been two years since I left politics and I don’t want to touch it again,” Arveladze said.

Why have teachers not received their salaries?

Opposition MP Giorgi Tsagareishvili has held a briefing at which he demanded that the authorities explain why teachers are not being paid their holiday pay, Sakartvelos Respublika reports.

Tsagareishvili said that at the end of every school year the teachers are given 2 months holiday pay, but this year that amount has not entered their bank accounts. "That is a labour rights violation that no one from either the Government or the Teachers’ Trade Union has reacted to,” Tsagareishvili said. He said the total owed is about GEL 20 mln. If that amount is not paid by the end of this week, the teachers will hold a protest briefing themselves.

Tsagareishvili also suggested that President Saakashvili should address problems such as these rather than hold parties at his residence.