The messenger logo

Tsulukiani and Kbilashvili on their nearest political steps

By Gvantsa Gabekhadze
Tuesday, October 16
The candidates on the chief posts of Justice and Prosecutor’s office have made their initial statements concerning their future attempts and on the first political moves after their official appointment to their posts.

According to the minister of justice candidate, Tea Tsulukiani, there will not be selective justice in the country any more and the court will retain its fundamental function.

Tsulukiani emphasized that the functions of prosecutors and judges would be strictly separated and prosecutors will not be allowed to interfere in the issues of the judges.

“Prosecutors will regain their prosecuting functions but the administering of justice will be left to the judges. This will be a great relief for the judges,” Tsulukiani stated, adding that due to this decision, 90% of judges who are competent in their job will act without pressure. As for the other 10% which had previously adopted “shameful” verdicts for the public and country “I advise them to act based on their conscience…” Tsulukiani said.

Tsulukiani’s first official visit will be held in Strasburg and “unburdening” the court from Georgian cases will be on her agenda.

“There is only one judge and two lawyers working on Georgian issues in Strasburg and when there are lots of cases which should be discussed it requires several years. When the country has got an impartial court, the number of such cases sent abroad will be greatly lessened," Tsulukiani stated.

She also stated that there would be some changes in the ministry’s structure for better management. However, the changes will be carried only after consultations with the ministry's employees, analysts and some other competent people.

According to the candidate on the post of the chief Prosecutor, Archil Kbilashvili, all those issues will be looked over and investigated afresh.

“I mean such cases as are related with the death of former Prime Minister Zurab Zhvania, Sandro Girgvliani’s murder, Grigol Robakidze, Guram Sharadze, Roin Shavadze,” Kbilashvili said.

He also underscored that the high level prosecutors will not preserve their posts, as for the other ordinary prosecutors, according to Kbilashvili, they will continue working.

“Currently ordinary prosecutors will be left on their places. Then, we will observe them and only after this will we make a decision concerning them,” Kbilashvili stated.

Kbilashvili touched upon acting prosecutor, Murtaz Zodelava and mentioned that appealing against Zodelava is not on agenda currently.

“However, in the case that criminal behavior is revealed concerning him; we will act appropriately,” Kbilashvili stated.