The messenger logo

Two more die from CO intoxication in Georgia

By Tea Mariamidze
Friday, March 1
Two more people died from CO intoxication in Tbilisi. The incident took place in one of the houses in Nadzaladevi District on February 28.

As reported, the deceased people are a 19-year-old girl and a 20-year old boy. They were renting the flat.

Gas provider company KazTransGaz Tbilisi reports that CO accumulated in the flat from the gas heater which was improperly installed.

“The company KazTransGas-Tbilisi calls on customers again to take advice from specialists and not to use open chamber heaters and water heaters. Protect safety rules, call the hotline and request the inspection of your residential houses,” the company said.

In early February KazTransGas-Tbilisi stated they cut off 69, 133 gas and water heaters installed by consumers in a faulty manner in 2018.

The company stated that up to 100 people have been killed and 286 poisoned because of the faulty installation of gas heaters in Tbilisi.

Moreover, seven people died from the Carbon Monoxide poisoning in a flat on 67 Ketevan Tsamebuli Street on January 31.

In addition, a deadly gas explosion in Didi Dighomi District on January 16 killed 4 people, while 8 others received severe injuries.

After that, two more men died of CO intoxication on January 21.

It was stated after the cases that installation of gas detectors in the block of flats will become mandatory in blocks of flats in Georgia.

The requirements towards gas companies in the direction of construction and installation works will also be tightened, as well as the gasification in the individual residential areas and the equipment installation procedures.

An information campaign about the safe consumption of gas will be launched in order to raise awareness of the population.