The messenger logo

Gas Explosion in Dighomi Massive Leaves 8 Injured

By Tea Mariamidze
Tuesday, April 9
A powerful gas explosion in a residential building in Digomi Massive in Tbilisi left 8 injured, including a 7-month-old child. The incident occurred on April 7.

KazTransGas-Tbilisi, a gas distribution company in Tbilisi, released a statement regarding the explosion, saying the incident was caused by a gross violation of operating rules.

Vazha Siradze, Deputy Chief of Patrol Police Department, told the media that an investigation has been launched under paragraph 2, Article 240 of the Criminal Code of Georgia, involving a breach of safety regulations during mining, construction or other works that result in death or other grave consequences.

On Monday, a group of experts arrived at the site to study the condition of the building and assess if it is safe for the residents or not.

Didube district governor Irma Zavradashvili said the population will be admitted to those apartments which have not been damaged by the explosion. According to her, the residents whose flats are damaged will be allowed to take out their personal belongings from the flats only if they observe the safety rules.

The governor said the government will cover the expenses of the rent of the affected residents.

Zavardashvili added that 30 families live in the building where the explosion occurred. Out of them, 7 families have an alternative living space, 10 families were housed in hotels and 13 families will live with relatives.

In case the building is found as suitable for living, the restoration works will be launched.

The government has begun to tighten legislation, which will apply both to gas suppliers and consumers.

Gas safety standards became a top priority in Georgia following mid-January gas explosion in a residential building in the Didi Dogomi district in Tbilisi which killed four.

Construction and installation requirements for gas companies will become stricter with the aim of providing safer gas. Moreover, the population will be better informed about safe gas consumption.

Also, as announced by the Economy Ministry earlier, installation of gas detectors in blocks of flats will become mandatory.